Thursday, February 15, 2018

What I've Learned About LOVE In Kindergarten


Yesterday was Valentine's Day. When 21 voices chorused, "Happy Valentine's Day, Mrs. Hugo," I realized that would be the last time I'd be receiving so-ooo much love on Valentine's Day. And now I know what I'll miss most about teaching kindergarten.  It's the love.





It's the hugs in the mornings. It's the joyful way I'm greeted as if I'm a long- lost friend after lunch.  It's the "I love you's" after someone really enjoyed a game, an art project, or a story that I told.

It's the flowers, rainbows and Batman drawn and colored on all kinds of paper and proudly offered to me.  It's the first time a child remembers how to spell the most important word of them all--love.

It's first and second graders, too, stopping by to say "Hi!"  And older former students who deliver a big box of candy on Valentine's Day, send an email to thank me for teaching them the Backwards ABC Song, or never forget my birthday and always bring me my favorite dark chocolate.
It's college students studying elementary education because they loved being in my kindergarten who return to volunteer.  It's parent volunteers and grandparent volunteers who continue to help out even though their own children have moved on to the upper grades.

It's all this love and much more than I can put into words. It's what I'll miss most about kindergarten.  It's the love.
I've had my students make lovebug ladybug bags forever.















4 comments:

  1. My secret to share: Your work provides the kind of love that keeps on giving because you have invested so much of your heart, time, and passion. You will receive so much back. It may be in a different kind of way but the kind of way that makes you glow inside! Teachers teach the whole child. They leave an indelible mark on children. Your belief in your students propels them into a future that we may not always see but your spirit has lifted them higher and higher. They will always say, "Thank you, Mrs. Hugo!" Kindergarten teachers have the hardest job but the most powerful job of all. "All I ever needed to know, I learned in Kindergarten!" Thank you for serving with a masterful touch of art, science and compassion!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks, Kathleen! Thanks for reading my blog and thanks for your wise words and thanks for all YOU have done for students and teachers and education, itself.

      Delete
  2. That was beautiful. Made me cry....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw, thanks! I do not like to think of you crying though. It has been a rewarding career.

    ReplyDelete