Thursday, August 24, 2017

Kindergarten Songs, Chants, and Fingerplays, 1-10



                                 



You know, there are a LOT of great kindergarten teachers out there!  Maybe you remember your own kindergarten teacher with affection, or maybe you admire a colleague, or maybe YOU are that amazing educator.  I know that I have many mentors of my own.  But try as I may, I could never be as outstanding as Miss Bindergarten!  Or Miss Cribbage.
While I imagine you may very well know of the energy and creativity of Miss Bindergarten, you may not know Miss Cribbage.  Sadly, she is out-of-print, often out-of-stock, and generally pretty hard to find anymore.  I am lucky enough to own a copy of this Rosemary Wells classic.  I use it throughout the year to inspire my own teaching and as a read-aloud for my students.  

Just a couple of years ago, Miss Cribbage's use of number songs, chants and fingerplays prompted me to create a list of my own favorites in this genre. I teach the children a number song, chant or fingerplay on each of the first ten days of kindergarten.  Then I write them on the back of 10 number cards and pop them into my magic hat.

Each day after the tenth day, the helper gets to pull out one of the number cards and we sing or recite that song, chant or fingerplay. It's a great activity during a transition or to calm down after an exciting event. Kindergarteners never seem to tire of activities that engage both speech and gestures.  If you'd like to know my list of ten number songs, chants, and fingerplays, you can download it HERE.

I hope you experiment with kindergarten songs, chants, and fingerplays for many reasons, not the least of which is to continue a sweet kindergarten tradition.

No comments:

Post a Comment