Tuesday, January 22, 2019

Drawing Lessons, Kindergarten 401






If you've been reading my last few posts, you know they are all about teaching kindergartners how to draw.  Digital drawing is the act of using a computer to draw. And, in this day and age, there are many ways to draw using a computer.  Common methods of digital drawing include a stylus or finger on a touchscreen device, stylus- or finger-to-touchpad, or in some cases, a mouse.

One of my favorite drawing programs "back in the day" was KidPix Studio Deluxe which was used to create the book cover you see above.  Nowadays, there are so many other creative drawing programs available for kids like Bomomo, Animah's World, and Chogger.  But whatever program you choose, I hope you consider making an On Market Street alphabet book with your students.


Start by reading what many consider to be a kindergarten classic by Arnold and Anita Lobel, On Market Street. This Caldecott Honor Book was inspired by seventeenth century French
engravings and it is a delight for adults and children, alike.  Anita Lobel has painted shopkeepers on Market Street, each composed of his or her "wares," each starting with a letter of the alphabet.  A little boy walks down Market Street, buying presents for a friend from each of the shopkeepers.

After reading the book, show the students one page for one letter of the alphabet which you have created using your selected digital drawing program.  KidPix offers the option of making a template which is what I used to create the outline of a human body.  My students then used the drawing tools to draw the facial features and a stamping tool to stamp the shopkeepers' "wares." They also typed their assigned letter in the top right hand side of their pages. Here are some examples of their work:
This W shopkeeper is wearing watches.
This O lady is wearing owls.
This P lady is wearing porcupines (ouch!)
This Z lady is wearing zinnias.



I bound the pages together as a class book.  I made the cover myself:  I didn't want to miss out on the fun and I also saved the cover from year to year!  I liked sending class books home with each student. So, I included a page describing the project, as well as a page on which family members could write their comments.  After circulating through all the homes, class books had a special bin in our class library.

I hope you will give your students the opportunity to use digital drawing tools to create this really fun class alphabet book!




No comments:

Post a Comment