Sunday, April 15, 2018

A BIG Retirement Party and Kindergarten Reunion!





I have stepped away from blogging a bit because I've been devoting my screen time to inviting people to a BIG retirement party-- my own!
Yes, retirement is just about 6 weeks off, about 30 days away, but who is counting😉!


When I decided to retire four years ago, this crazy idea popped into my head: wouldn't it be wonderful to have a reunion of all my former students to celebrate my retirement?!  I've always felt that classroom teaching is all about building a community.  In a classroom community, students learn to care about each other, share with one another, and learn together.  Wouldn't it be great to bring that community together one more time?
My Facebook savvy offspring said, "Yes, Mom!  Do it!  Build it and they will come!"  I could create a Facebook event and invite former students who would invite their friends who would invite their friends and, eventually, close to 700 "kids" would show up at the party!


So, about 4 months ago, we reserved a venue for the party. It’s a nice park district building with inside and outside seating, a playground, and a walking path around the adjacent pond. Guests will be able to enjoy themselves if there is a wait to meet and greet the retiree.


We are still working on how to provide ice cream for all guests. Why ice cream?  Just because it's the BEST treat ever, I think!  



My daughter helped me create the event a month ago. Most of my Facebook friends who are also teachers or parents of former students responded right away that they would be coming. And then I started on this ENORMOUS task of inviting over 600 students.  It has been and continues to be a Wild Ride!
Find a class photo.  Search for a student's name on Facebook. Friend Request. Message about why I'm requesting to be a friend.  Wait for acceptance. Invite.  Wait to see if that student is able to commit to going to the party.


So far, I've looked up about 200 students, found about half of them on Facebook, and about half of them have responded that they are "Going" to the party. Friends ARE inviting friends, too. If this rate stays steady, there could be.....A LOT of former students at this party (although nowhere near the 700 I once envisioned and that is okay!)

I am excited to see everyone who comes!  I know it will be nice to see friends reunite and people make interesting connections.  We all know that it is a small world yet people often feel distant from one another.  I hope that this party will help remind us of our shared life.

No comments:

Post a Comment