Sunday, January 28, 2018

I Survived the 100th Day of Kindergarten (22 Times)

I got the idea for this 100th day sweatshirt from my oldest son's kindergarten teacher, Betsie L.,  back in 1991!
I've worn it each 100th day of kindergarten for the past 22 years.
I wasn't going to write about celebrating the 100th day of kindergarten.I didn't think I needed to persuade anyone to try to celebrate this milestone in the kindergarten year. I couldn't really think of anything new I could add to the vast repertoire of ideas available to teachers. I've always celebrated the hundredth day of kindergarten so I can't even reminisce about how it used to be!

And then I realized that I'll be missing out on my final celebration of Day 100.  My amazing mother is turning 90 years old on that day.  My husband and I are traveling to Minnesota for a long weekend in order to be with my mom and dad on this special occasion. So...

My lesson plans are written.  



The paper crowns are assembled and ready for coloring.  


The kids' collections of 100 items are hanging in baggies on the bulletin board. 


I've photocopied simple posters and set out markers for adding ten dots in 10 different colors to each of the 10 sections.


A chart is ready for the substitute to record each person's favorite food during the sharing portion of Morning Meeting.  Later, the students will copy the sentence frame and their food choice and illustrate it with one large sample.



And, setting on my desk, there is Miss Bindergarten Celebrates the 100th Day of Kindergarten.



I tried to be like Miss Bindergarten one year, by the way, and, doggone it, I couldn't do it! Cutting out all those hearts, hanging mobiles, purchasing ten different allergy-free snacks... and to think that she accomplishes all that preparation in the wee hours of one morning and manages it all with a REALLY zoo-ey class!

But, missing out on this last 100th day, is giving me a feeling for what it will be like when I'm retired.  As markers in the kindergarten year come by---the first day of school, Parent Night, conference days, Halloween, etc.--I'm sure I will reminisce, share my thoughts and ideas with those who are still making a difference in lives of children, and check out what is new and exciting in education. 

All  around 10 a.m... while snuggled on my couch... in my plush bathrobe... enjoying that second cup of coffee...

No comments:

Post a Comment