Wednesday, September 27, 2017

Math Monkey: Math Intervention in Kindergarten

Beanie Babies may not live on as collector's items but they definitely have a place in a kindergarten classroom!  "Math Monkey" is a popular partner when there is an "odd one out" at my math intervention table.  Here is how it works:

In my classroom, I have created STEAM centers which run for 15-20 minutes four days a week. (You can read more about my STEAM centers in an earlier September 2017 post.) Students rotate through the STEAM centers in table groupings. When a group arrives at the Math center, they will always find me there.  I'll be wearing my gold crown which means I am busy meeting with my Royal Mathematicians!  Students know to "Ask three before me" when I am wearing the crown.  Sometimes I'm lucky enough to have a volunteer to answer questions but, most often, students work without need of much help in the other centers.


At the Math center, the students will always find one or two math games or activities.  For the past three years, these games have come from our district's math curriculum, Bridges Mathematics. We always play the games as a class on two separate days so the children know what to do when they arrive at the center.  

As soon as the students are settled, I ask one to come sit on the other side of the table with me.  If there is an even number of students and the activity is a game for partners, this leaves one without a partner.  Math Monkey to the rescue!  For the time that I'm working with one student, Math Monkey steps in as the partner.  Kindergarteners absolutely love this! Many are quite ingenuous about moving her about to spin a spinner, roll a dice, count objects, etc.

My table groupings are heterogeneous so I usually have no more than 2 students (out of 4-5) who need to practice a math skill or concept with me. This means I can work with each of those students individually for 6-7 minutes.  I keep a chart in the Math Center bin along with the materials I need to practice the math skills for each trimester.  Our district's report card has not been updated in more than a decade and is definitely in need of revision.  Each time I work with a child I mark a dot to indicate we worked together and an X when the skill is mastered.  This is a blank copy of my chart which you are welcome to grab HERE.

And here is a picture of the simple materials I use for working on these skills and concepts.


Admittedly, math intervention just once every five school days is not a lot.  So, I do send home this note to parents each time I work with their child to let them know their child would benefit from additional practice.  Just click on these words Math Monkey to receive your copy!



No comments:

Post a Comment