Tuesday, July 18, 2017

Making Things: A Kindergarten Teacher's Reflections


A few days ago, I dropped off my new "Super Great" sign to be laminated at Office Max.  If a teaching material is going to be handled a lot, I will pay for a higher-quality lamination than is offered at my school.  Also, I don't laminate everything: sometimes, there is a glare from laminated posters, for example, that makes it difficult for us to read.  

So, I'm reminiscing....I started teaching in 1977.  I was in SpEd "in my first life as a teacher," as I like to say. Back then, teachers around here didn't have access to laminating machines. We used to buy a roll of clear contact paper and try to stick it on things we made.  What didn't stick to our hands, or wrinkle, or develop air pockets protected our game boards, posters, or charts.

I remember the excited buzz when my first school district finally purchased a laminating machine in the early 1980's.  On certain days, teachers from all four schools in that district could drive their stuff over to wait their turns to laminate.


Back then, it really was more work to make things!  In suburban Chicago, there was a place called The Kohl Teachers' Store.  It was a sort of Santa's Workshop for teachers.  I would go there each summer and look through idea books.  I could purchase tagboard, stickers, theme-based cut-outs from old books, workbooks, and magazines.  For a few dollars, I was able to create whatever I wanted.  One summer, I was really ambitious and constructed a small pressed-board tree for my classroom!
My 3D pressed-board tree @1982 !

In the late 1970s and early 80s, teachers used mimeograph or "ditto" machines, as well.  I could help myself to the blank "ditto" paper in the copy room and create newsletters or worksheets by writing, drawing, or typing on them.  I could also purchase workbooks of "ditto" pages.  I'd have to carefully separate my page from its protective backing and insert the page into the mimeograph machine. Then, I'd crank the machine's handle while it turned out copies.  Most often, I'd have blue ink stains on my fingers and nails all day. Photocopy machines were in schools by the mid 80s, but I still have some of those inky blue "dittos" in my files.

Those were also the days when I had to stencil and cut out all of the letters for bulletin boards.  Die-cut machines were not available in my first district.  And I certainly  couldn't purchase pre-cut, punch out, adhesive-backed letters 40 years ago!
Stenciled letters, hand cut, and gameboards covered in clear contact paper
@1980
I took a break from public school teaching from 1985 to 1995 while our children were young. When I returned to the classroom, it was as a kindergarten teacher.  Although we teachers didn't have our own laptops until 2010, we did have a computer at home.  I could type my creations, print them out at home, and photocopy them at school.  As clipart became more readily available, my teacher-made materials have taken on a more professional and appealing look.  

I also use fewer worksheets nowadays.  Learning activities are more social, more constructivist, more technology-based, and more authentic.  But, once in awhile, I'll bring out an old contact-paper covered game board or "ditto" and my kindergartners are captivated!


1 comment:

  1. I used the ditto machine at my first teaching job - I always loved the way they smelled! I remember using contact paper too before laminating! Thanks for the stroll down memory lane!

    ReplyDelete